The Agricultural University, founded in the late Italian Middle Ages, was home to Guilds. The two major ones attested during the 14th and 15th centuries were the Farmers’ Guild (Arte degli Ortolani), documented in 1379 the year the Statute was drawn up, and the Wheat Workers’ Guild (Arte dei Lavoratori del Frumento), upon which the Agricultural University was founded (see Vipereschi Palace page 53). The Agricultural University is identified with “the Roccaccia”, so named for the presence of the medieval castle of Rocca Giorgii or Jorii.
The Roccaccia is the Agricultural University’s Business Centre and the place where ancient traditions are kept alive with its acres of coppice, free-ranging Maremma livestock, and horse and cattle breeding. (See page 09 Feast of goods).