Magdelene Tower Gate (after the adjacent church which no longer exists; also known as the Dante Tower; called the Roman Gate after the Unification of Italy).
Tarchna, Corneto, Tarquinia
This entrance was inserted into the wall after it had already been constructed and was built in three different phases between the 12th and the 17th centuries. In the first phase the gate was built as high as the adjacent wall, in the second phase (c.1453 under Nicholas V, whose coat of arms is embedded in the wall) it reached three-quarters of the height of the wall, while in the third phase a lighter shade of stone was used and corbels and battlements were added. The gate on the left (1563-64, designed by the architect F. Laparelli under Paul V), replaced the original bayonet structure connected to the killing zone. To the right of the gate lies another passageway (opened in 1860 by F. Dasti) on the same axis as the unfinished inner tower gate.