The construction of this church dates back to the 13th century and the architectural style is clearly Romanesque.
Tarchna, Corneto, Tarquinia
It’s interior is subdivided into a nave and two aisles by pillars while the facade has a central gable. The church had previously fallen completely into ruin and had been closed to religious services since 1915. Recently, it has undergone a massive restoration project financed by the Russian Orthodox community. In conjunction with the church restoration, the square in front of the church has also been renovated wherein lies the small Church of St. Mary of the Sea. Dating back to the 15th century, it appears to have been constructed by the citizens themselves, sollicited by Saint Bernardino from Siena. The painting of the Virgin housed there was particularly venerated, subsequently moved to St. Anthony’s Church. Originally, the chapel placed in the care of a hermit, then in 1592 it was conceded to the Order of the “Serviti” who used the facility as an infirmary. In 1779 the chapel was entrusted to the Congregation of Discipline and thereafter it was transferred into private hands.