Creata tra il 1914 e il 1918, già nota come porta Firenze (1883-84; prog. C. Grispini); sostituì l’antica porta della valle, ormai inadeguata alle esigenze della viabilità urbana.
Tarchna, Corneto, Tarquinia
The winged –horses-high relief was discovered by Pietro Romanelli on the remains of the large temple identified as “Queen’s altar” on the Civita height, in 1938. The work, universally recognized as one of the major masterpieces of Etruscan terracotta sculpture (coroplastic art), is considered by Tarquinia community as the symbol of the own town.
The plate was originally affixed trough long bronze nails( preserved in the setup) to the left lintel extremity of the temple : as a matter of fact, the slanting higher edge follows the incline of the roof slope .
The plate singularity is in the admirable progression from low relief (background horse’s legs and tail) to high relief( foreground horse’s body) till the three-dimensional heads and wings, perfectly shaped with abundance of details, protruding from the plate surface.
The horses weren’t made just for a frontal vision, as the three-dimensional projection made them visible also to the people coming from the sanctuary left side and they looked like they are pawing the ground waiting to take flight.